Thursday, December 17, 2009

Great Friends are Great Treasures!

Carter celebrated his 4th Birthday this week! So many milestones have been reached in the past 4 years by Carter it is amazing to look back and reflect on the day he was born. Just a little over 6 lbs when he was born I saw a fragile baby with many obstacles ahead of him. In the past 4 years he has become a brave boy that handles his unique life with smile that brightens anyones day!

The night before Carters Birthday we talked about how he was turning 4 and did some practice counting for his big day. As soon as he realized he could not count to 4 on his fingers he blurted out "Mommy I wish my fingers weren't stuck together, maybe a wizard will fix them for my Birthday"! Outta the mouths of babes as I always say!

This wish made Mike and I think a lot about how he will count growing up with only 3 fingers and 4 toes. Not that we haven't thought about this before, but now it was more prevalent on his 4th Birthday. We always joked he could take off his right shoe and use his 4 toes to count!

The morning of Carters Birthday, Mike, Chase and I woke him up by singing Happy Birthday in bed. As soon as his eyes opened he started to look at his hand and asked us to turn the light on. Once the light was on he looked again and said "Aww I didn't get my wish". This broke our hearts.

Over the past couple of days our friends and family have given us many ideas on how Carter can count higher than 3 on his fingers. My favorite idea was having his friends and family help him count by lending him their fingers to add to his. It is just so priceless to us having moral support from our friends and family.

This morning I brought cupcakes into Carters school for his Birthday. When I arrived all the children where playing except for Carter and his best buddy Noah. They were at the table with the teacher making something. I let them continue what they were doing and just sat back and watched. Noahs hand was copied on a piece of blue construction paper and Carter was holding a green birthday crown he had made. The teacher cut out Noahs hand for the boys and attached it to Carters Birthday Hat. You see, Noah lent Carter his hand for his hat so that it showed he was 4 years old. Atop Carters hat was Noahs little hand with the thumb down showing his 4 fingers!

Today Noah made Carters wish come true by being his "counting wizard"!

Thank You Noah for standing by your buddy and helping him out when he needed you. You are a very special boy with a very special heart!

I will never forget what Noah did for Carter and I will never forget how lucky we are to have this family in our lives!

Great Friends are the Greatest Treasures!




8 comments:

Kelly said...

We are the lucky ones to have met you and Carter...I'm so happy my little man could make Carter's birthday wish come true! Happy 4th Birthday little buddy!

Anonymous said...

I am crying! What a wonderful world it would be if as grownups we could be so innocent, accepting and loving.

This story will touch more people than you know.

I have had the pleasure of working with Noah and his family - it is no surprise to hear about his generous heart.

CiCiHi said...

This is such a wonderful story of compassion that we can learn from children....so heartwarming, especially at this time of year. I think it should be published in the Union Leader or New York Times, it is that wonderful!
Connie High

Unknown said...

Words cannot express the feelings I am experiencing right now reading this story about my grandson Noah and his best buddy Carter. Noah and I have a special song that we sing about school and Carter's name is the first one he always uses. I love that I can put a face with the name now. Kelli, the story you shared today on Carter's fourth birthday is so touching but yet re-assuring that there will always be a friend that Carter can count on for whatever he needs. I'm so proud that Noah can be this friend. Thank you for letting Carter be such an important part in Noah's growth and development. There is nothing like a friend! Noah's Mimi

Cindy Greenwood said...

Kelli,and Mike, God blessed you with Carter, he gave you the greatest gift in the world. By reading your blog it gives me such hope, that people like Carter and my friend Judy's grandson Noah overcome what many adults can't. They have a gift not a condition... if only the rest of the world could see through their eyes. If only adults could understand what friendship is,and what love is. I'm proud of both boys, they have what most people will never have. This only fomes because they both have such loving and caring families. Kudos to all of you. I wish you and your families a blessed Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New year.

sweetpeas said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. This story has been passed around to a lot of people in the past week and I have received so many nice phone calls and emails about it. We are very blessed to have such nice people in our lives. Im very happy that everyone is sharing this great story about 2 little boys who are the best of buddies! Noah and Carter are such super stars. When they grow up and look back at this story I hope they are as touched by it as we are. Happy Holidays everyone! Kelli

Anonymous said...

Ok how am i suppose to work now? Did you have to make me cry?? XXOO Love you all!!

Sue said...

So very special, this young boy Noah seems like such a great friend for Carter!! Teach them compassion early and life will always be great!!! That is my wish for all children!